Have you been searching for that one thing that is your unique gift to share with the world? Have you ever felt trapped or like you are not living to your fullest potential? Steve Olsher is a serial entrepreneur. He is the man behind New Media Summit, a podcaster, and the author of What is Your WHAT?
In this episode, steve takes us through the What is your WHAT framework and explains what it is. We talk about finding your WHAT, discovering what do you want versus what do you need, and the four paths that most people are on. Steve is a reinvention expert and has helped people and corporations become exceptionally clear on their WHAT. This episode is for anyone who has been wondering if they are on the right path or just want more clarity of purpose.
You can find Steve here:
- [02:08] Steve has always been wired as an entrepreneur. When he was a kid, he got paid to rake leaves. His first true entrepreneurial venture was opening a non-alcoholic nightclub when he was 19 years old.
- [02:41] He then moved on to online business including liquor.com and real estate development.
- [02:58] He has also been speaking, writing, coaching, and podcasting. He also has the New Media Summit live event.
- [03:59] Steve's favorite entrepreneurial life was whatever he was working on at the time.
- [04:45] It's important to understand how we actually excel and what puts fire into our soul. Steve has been the first author to create the What is your WHAT framework.
- [05:40] Being able to answer that core question of, 'What is your WHAT?' is what's going to separate those who meander through life from those who really wake up with a fire in their soul.
- [06:16] Steve has always been in a continual state of reinvention. At one point, he wondered if he was missing something. He created what he thinks is a simple framework to help people get to those answers.
- [07:12] In 2009, Steve started what he called a reinvention workshop. It became clear that getting to the core answer of what is your gift and identifying the primary vehicle that you could use to share that gift would create success.
- [08:22] Then you have to ask who are the people that you are most compelled to serve. Identifying your gift, your vehicle, and your people helps you hit the ground running.
- [08:52] You can get started that same day by leveraging your gift using your primary vehicle with those people. It's a simple framework that boils down to understanding these three things.
- [10:01] The why versus the what. The why is external. Your WHAT is internal. It reflects how you are naturally wired to excel. You can choose your why, you can't choose your WHAT.
- [11:25] There are a lot of hours in the day. Find a small amount of time to work towards your WHAT. Think about creating an offering so you get paid for your WHAT.
- [13:39] So many people spend their time the same way they spend their money as opposed to investing their time or investing their money.
- [13:52] Think about what you actually want.
- [15:02] The four paths. We all identify on one of these paths. A birther knows what they will be doing their entire life. The shifter has to make a subtle shift to the What is your WHAT equation. The reinventors need to do something 100% different. The wanderer wanders through life without clarity about what their WHAT is.
- [18:36] Sometimes it's just a matter of getting started with something that's different from what you are doing now.
- [21:00] Start a time journal and find some hours in the day to do what you need to do.
- [22:18] Your life becomes a reflection of the choices you make.
- [22:37] During the reinvention workshop Steve takes people through the what is WHAT discovery process.
- [24:05] You are the solution to someone's problem. It's our obligation to do what we can do to reach them.
Links and Resources: